- Fresh sweet citrus fruits (grapefruits, naval oranges, blood oranges, etc.)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, sliced in thin rounds
- Fresh basil
- In a small saucepan, heat lime juice on low. Stir in sugar until dissolved, and remove from heat. Add thinly sliced jalapeño rounds and let cool to room temperature.
- Using a chef's knife, cut off the top and bottom of the fruit, enough to reveal the flesh. With the flat bottom of the fruit on your cutting board, cut the peel and white pith away from the fruit starting at the top and rounding the cut with the curve of the fruit.
- Once all the white pith is removed, slice very thin rounds.
- Layer on a plate and drizzle with jalapeño lime syrup. Top with fresh basil and serve.
Experiment with types of sugar, fruit juice, and herbs in your syrup!