- 1 pound large shell-on shrimp
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 8 ounces soba Japanese-style noodles
- 1/4 cup mirin sweet Japanese rice wine
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup torn fresh shiso or mint leaves
- 3 toasted nori sheets crumbled (about 1/4 cup), divided
- Place shallot, shrimp, and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan; add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes. Drain; discard shallot. Transfer shrimp to a plate; let cool. Peel and devein shrimp.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain. Rinse under cold water; drain well. Whisk mirin, soy sauce, vinegar, and ginger in a large bowl. Add shrimp, noodles, shiso, and half of nori and toss to combine. Top with remaining nori.