- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 large green cabbage (about 1 pound) cored and finely shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 large red cabbage (about 1 pound) cored and finely shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 green onion trimmed and shopped
- 1/2 jalapeño chile cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard, mustard powder, and celery seed. Heat over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly. Add the oil and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the green and red cabbage, carrot, green onion, jalapeño, and parsley and toss to combine. Pour over the reserved slightly cooled dressing. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes. Toss, taste and adjust for seasoning again, then serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Lighten Up Y’All, by Virginia Willis, copyright © 2015, published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photographs copyright © 2015 by Andie Mosier