- 2 bunches medium carrots, washed, tops trimmed
- 4 small beets, washed, tops trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking pan with two layers of parchment paper.
- Cut the tops of washed beets and quarter. (Beets can stain! Use gloves, an apron, and avoid using white cutting boards.) Toss the beets in 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt, and 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes.
- Roast beets alone for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, trim tops off carrots and slice carrots in half diagonally. In a large bowl, toss carrots in 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt, and 1/2tsp crushed red pepper flakes.
- Remove beets from oven and add to bowl with carrots. Add brown sugar and maple syrup. Toss to combine.
- Spread carrots and beets on parchment-lined baking pan. Evenly top with pieces of butter.
- Roast, tossing occasionally, for 40-50 minutes or until tender.