- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon garlic finely chopped
- 3 Thai or serrano chiles finely chopped
- 1 lime zested
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound large shrimp shelled and deveined, with tails left on
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Cilantro for garnish
- Lime wedges
- Whisk together coconut milk, garlic, chiles, lime zest and paprika. Add shrimp and marinate for at least 4 hours. Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 2 hours. Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Drain shrimp, toss with oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange shrimp on skewers and grill for 1 to 1½ minutes on each side, or until shrimp are opaque. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
Piri Piri is a spice blend with many interpretations found in Portugal, Brazil, and Africa. The more traditional the blend, the higher the heat. Adjust this recipe to your own palate by adding or subtracting chiles.