- 1 9-piece canning kit, including canner, jar lifter, and canning rack
- 7 1-pint canning jars
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh okra
- 7 small green chile peppers
- 7 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons dill seed (plus 1 teaspoon)
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Bring canner half-full with water to a boil; simmer. Meanwhile, place jars in a large stockpot with water to cover; bring to a boil, and simmer. Place bands and lids in a large saucepan with water to cover; bring to a boil, and simmer. Remove hot jars, 1 at a time, using jar lifter.
- Pack okra into hot jars, filling to 1⁄2 inch from top. Place 1 pepper, 1 garlic clove, and 1 teaspoon dill seeds in each jar. Bring vinegar, salt, sugar, and 4 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour over okra, filling to 1⁄2 inch from top.
- Wipe jar rims; cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands (snug but not too tight). Place jars in canning rack, and place in simmering water in canner. Add additional boiling water as needed to cover by 1 to 2 inches.
- Bring water to a rolling boil; boil 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool jars in canner 5 minutes. Transfer jars to a cutting board; cool 12 to 24 hours. Test seals of jars by pressing center of each lid. If lids do not pop, jars are properly sealed. (See page 139 for more information.) Store in a cool, dry place at room temperature up to 1 year.