- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla you can use vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
- Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs. Blend in salt and vanilla.
- Mix soda and buttermilk in a small bowl.
- Add flour and buttermilk to mixture, alternating until the dough is stiff enough to handle.
- Break off some of the dough and roll out on a floured surface. Roll it about 1/2- to 1/4-inch thick, depending upon the degree of cookie crispness you desire.
- Cut out with cookie cutters and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Sprinkle with colored vanilla sugar.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for a few minutes, only until they are lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before taking off cookie sheet.