- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2 tbsp garlic chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups cremini mushrooms sliced
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 1/2 buncb thyme leaves only
- salt and pepper as needed
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 1 cup butter cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups white onion diced
- 1 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute, add the mushrooms and thyme and allow them to lightly brown. Allow them to get just tender and then remove from heat and set aside.
- Put the vegetable broth to heat in a separate pot. You want it hot for when you are ready to use it.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and sauté until they are translucent and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat well. Continue to sauté until lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes. Add the wine and cook until dry, about 5 minutes.
- Add about one-third of the hot vegetable broth and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring gently until dry.
- Repeat with the remaining broth, adding it in thirds and cook until the risotto has absorbed the broth.
- Add the spinach and stir to incorporate. Add the reserved mushrooms and remove the risotto from the heat. Stir in the butter and the parmesan.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Great as a side dish or as a vegetarian main course.