- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 7 tbsp powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In another large bowl, whisk two eggs. Add the buttermilk, melted butter, poppy seeds, and lemon zest. Mix to combine.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix the batter.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Add butter or nonstick spray to surface. Once warm, spoon 1/3 cup of batter onto the hot surface. Cook until bubbles form on top, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until other side is is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Remove and plate if serving immediately. If not, place on baking pan in a warm oven.
- Top with butter and fresh lemon glaze.