- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns toasted and crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili paste with garlic
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup scallions minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- scallions chopped for garnish
- Remove shells from the eggs and cut 1/4 inch off of each end. Reserve these trimmings.
- Halve the eggs crosswise and remove the yolks. Set the egg whites aside.
- Place yolks and trimmings in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients (except the garnish) to the bowl and mash with a fork until just smooth but not mushy.
- Spoon the mixture into the reserved whites or pipe it in using a pastry tube.
- Sprinkle with the chopped scallions.