- 4, 8 1/2 oz boxes cornbread mix
- 1 cup Pine Nuts toasted
- 2 sticks butter unsalted
- 2 large Spanish onions chopped
- 10 garlic cloves minced
- 4 small chorizo sausages links
- 2 red bell peppers roasted, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp oregan fresh chopped
- Bake the cornbread according to the package directions. While the bread is still warm, cut it into small cubes in the pan.
- Let the bread sit at room temperature, uncovered, for 12 hours or overnight. Remove the bread from the pan and crumble to make coarse bread crumbs.
- To toast the pine nuts, bake them on a baking sheet in a 300-degree oven for approximately 5 minutes until they turn golden brown. Watch carefully as they will burn fast.
- Immediately remove the nuts from the pan to a clean dish to stop them from cooking.
- In a medium sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, pine nuts, sautéed onion and garlic, sausages, red pepper and oregano, mixing well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
If planning to stuff turkey, the stuffing can be made up to this point a day in advance and kept refrigerated in an airtight container.