- 5 tbs unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion , thinly sliced
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms cleaned, stemmed and sliced
- 8 oz brown mushrooms cleaned, stemmed and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 baguette, sliced
- Optional: soft, spreadable cheese
Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions and mushrooms become tender and golden. Off heat, add the Marsala wine to the onions with the thyme leaves, place back on the burner and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until jammy.
- While the onion mixture cooks, place the sliced baguette on a parchment lined baking sheet. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Brush the bread slices with melted butter and toast in the oven until lightly browned.
To assemble, top each of the toasts with equal amounts of the caramelized onion mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with more thyme leaves and serve.
- Optional: Top with a soft, spreadable cheese.
Adapted from Foodie Crush