Yield 10 peoplePlease log in to add this to your favorites.
Carl Walker, Executive Chef, Brennan´s of Houston
- 1 butternut squash 26 ounces
- vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 cup onions chopped
- 1/2 cup Central Market andouille or spicy smoked sausage, finely chopped
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- Dash Ground nutmeg
- Creole seasoning to taste
- brown sugar to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 12 slices Central Market andouille or spicy smoked sausage
- 1 Granny Smith Apple peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the squash into halves lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Coat with oil and place cut side down in a baking pan. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender.
- Remove the pulp. Purée 4 cups of the squash pulp with 1 cup of the chicken stock in a blender.
- Sauté the garlic, onion and 1/2 cup sausage in 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan until tender.
- Add puréed squash, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, Creole seasoning and remaining 2 cups chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add the brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cook until reduced to desired consistency or add remaining squash pulp.
- Render the sausage slices in a small amount of oil in a small skillet over medium heat until the sausage begins to brown. Add the apple and sauté until tender.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with the apple mixture and yogurt.