- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium onions diced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp red chili pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp oregano minced
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup dark beer such as Anchor Porter or Shiner Bock
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans drained
- 4-6 oz goat cheese crumbled, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add the garlic and onions and sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the beef and sauté for 7 - 8 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the beef is well browned on all sides. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the chili powder and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, beer, vinegar, cumin, oregano and parsley and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered for about 45 minutes.
- Add beans and cook for 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with the goat cheese.
If you like thicker chili, reduce the beef stock to 2 cups and continue.