Bahārāt, which simply means “spice” in Arabic, is one of the all-purpose seasonings in Middle Eastern fare. Warm and aromatic, it is wonderful on chicken, fish, pork, and vegetables.
- 2 Tbsp. black peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp. coriander seeds
- 2 Tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp. allspice berries
- 1 tsp. cardamom seeds
- ½ tsp. whole cloves
- 4 (3-inch) cassia or cinnamon sticks
- 2 Tbsp. ground sweet paprika
- ½ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Grind the whole spices using a mortar and pestle, spice mill, or coffee grinder. (You may need to do it in several batches.)
- Add the paprika and nutmeg and combine.