- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 hot chiles seeded and chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds winter squash peeled and cubed
- 5 cups low sodium chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime wedges
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Sauté the onions, carrot, and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes and then cover. Lower heat and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes, until vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in tomato puree, chicken stock, chilies, and squash. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Mash the squash cubes with a potato masher or the back of a spoon.
- This rustic soup will not be completely smooth. Stir and season to taste.
- Soup may be served with lime wedges.
Winter squash includes varieties such as: butternut squash, acorn, banana,delicata, pumpkin, hubbard, kabocha, spaghetti, buttercup, sweet dumpling, and turban squash.