- 4 large eggs
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon
- 6 cups thinly sliced kale leaves
- 2 cups thinly sliced radicchio
- 1 cup cacio e pepe croutons see Recipe Notes
- 1/2 cup basic vinaigrette see Recipe Notes
Cacio e Pepe Croutons
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups day-old bread cubes about 1 inch
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon to 1/4black pepper
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons minced herbs
- Mix the cheese, salt, and a few grinds of black pepper in a small bowl; set aside. Cut the bread into roughly 1- inch cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the bread cubes, toss to coat with the oil, and arrange in a single layer. Toast the bread, tossing every minute or so, until the cubes are golden-brown on all sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a large bowl. Immediately sprinkle with the cheese and pepper mixture and toss to combine. Serve immediately or let cool completely.
- Measure all ingredients into a bowl, blender, or jar.
- If using a bowl, use a fork or whisk to rapidly blend the vinaigrette together. If using a jar, top with the lid and shake until the vinaigrette is combined. If using a blender, blend until the vinaigrette is thoroughly combined.
- Dip a leaf of salad into the vinaigrette and give it a taste; tasting the dressing with the greens gives you a better idea of how the vinaigrette will taste with a salad than if you taste it on its own.
- Add more olive oil for a more mellow flavor, more vinegar or lemon juice for more tartness, and more of any of the other ingredients to taste. Whisk, shake, or blend to combine.
- Fill a small saucepan with several inches of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a rapid simmer and gently add the eggs to the water, one at a time. Cook 6 minutes for a runny yolk. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon. Run the eggs under cold water and, once cool enough to handle, gently peel.
- Working in batches if needed, place the bacon in a single layer in a large frying pan. Fry over medium-low heat until the bacon is crispy on one side. Flip the bacon with tongs and fry until the second side is crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined large plate and repeat frying if needed. Once cool enough to handle, break the bacon into 1-inch pieces.
- Place the kale and radicchio in a large bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, divide the greens among 4 plates. Top with the bacon and croutons. Place 1 egg on each serving and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
The croutons can be made up to a few days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. The dressing can be made and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Let sit out at room temperature for 15 minutes, then whisk again before serving.