- 4 cups cooked grits
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup grated, sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons butter room temperature, divided
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- Butter a 9”x5”x2 ½” loaf pan and line it with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Stir hot grits, garlic, cheese, chives, and 2 TBSP of butter together. Season to taste with hot sauce. Pour the grits into the pan and refrigerate until chilled and firm.
- When ready to serve, unmold the grits and slice them into 8 squares or cut with cookies cutters into shapes. Heat the remaining butter in a heavy-bottomed nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the grits cakes for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and heated through.
- These can be frozen before or after cooking.
Variation: Cut into tiny bite-sized circles. Cakes can be topped with bourbon mayonnaise and country ham at your next holiday shindig.