So with grilling season fast upon us, here’s a quick guide to enhancing such prized flavors with the magic of rubs and marinades.
Rubs are simply a combination of spices, salts, and herbs that add a flavor punch whereas marinade’s combination of acid, oil, and seasoning add flavor and tenderize, instantly elevating your grill game. They do add a little extra time to your meal prep but are definitely worth the wait. Once your food is coated in a dry rub (make sure to get in all the nooks and crannies) or soaking up a marinade, cover it, pop it in the fridge, and relax while the ingredients go to work. Here’s a reference to how much chill time you actually have before it becomes grill time:
- Fish and shrimp: 30-40 minutes.
- Poultry: 1-4 hours
- Beef: 4-24 hours
- Seafood: Small pieces: 30-40 minutes. Thick pieces: 45-60 minutes.
- Poultry: Whole chicken 6-12 hours. Boneless breasts 45 minutes – 2 hours. Boneless thighs 1-4 hours. Bone-in thighs with skin 2-4 hours.
- Meat: Lean cuts: 45 minutes – 2 hours. Thick cuts: 2-12 hours.
The best thing about rubs and marinades is the endless variety that exists, but we have a few go options depending on your protein of choice. Try one of these the next time you fire up the grill! (All recipes yield enough for 2 pounds of meat or 4 fish fillets.)
- ¾ cup chopped mint leaves
- ½ cup pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup medium-bodied beer, such as pale ale
- Zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ½ medium onion, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup lemon juice (or orange or pineapple juice)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ cup melted butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup cilantro (more if desired)
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- Juice of one lime and/or lemon
So light the grill and let’s fire up the flavor!