Week to feature wine dinners, in-store tastings and more than 20 winemakers
WHAT: Central Market’s Wine Week will be held June 9-15 in all Central Market locations for people who are really into wine. Wine devotees will discover a wide range of wines, find fresh new favorites and meet winemakers who will be sharing their wine expertise and insights.
The week will feature more than 20 winemakers, as well as wine dinners from high-profile sommeliers, including winemaker and former Texas resident Adam Lee from Siduri & Novy Family Wines, and Héctor Durigutti from Lamadrid Winery: Food & Wine in Argentina – and more!
On Thursday, July 10 from 5 p.m.- 8 p.m., customers can “let the good times stroll” with an in-store adventure to discover new ways to enjoy favorite wines, sample foods that pair beautifully with the selections and chat with Central Market experts at numerous unique tasting stations. In addition to learning more about the flavors, aromas and production techniques for a variety of wines that range from cava to cabernet, customers who purchase the $10 admission will also receive a special gift bag that includes:
- A wine glass
- A corkscrew
- A Central Market Wine Guide
- A Central Market Wine Event Guide
Take wine knowledge to new heights! Register for the following Central Market Austin Cooking School dinners and classes, including:
SIDURI WINE DINNER: Focus on Pinot Noirs
Wednesday, July 9 at 6:30 p.m.
Join CM for a non-traditional cooking class in which attendees will learn about these delicious wines made by two former Texas residents. Adam Lee and his wife left the Lone Star State in 1994 with the dream of creating fine wines made from Pinot Noir grapes. From their base in Santa Rosa in Sonoma County, they now produce over 25 different pinots each year, from grapes grown in the coastal regions of California and the Willamette Valley of Oregon. Patrons will also enjoy wines from a second label, Novy Family Wines, which are consistent favorites with critics and consumers alike.
CM staff will be on hand to answer any questions that patrons may have about the preparation of the dishes, but the focus will be on the production, characteristics, and pairing of these wines:
- Fig & goat cheese crostini paired with Novy Family Wines Sauvignon Blanc
- Spicy, chilled Moroccan tomato soup paired with Novy Family Zinfandel
- Salmon salad with roasted beets, potatoes and dandelion greens paired with Siduri Russian River Pinot Noir
- Pinot-braised short ribs with egg noodles served with Siduri Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir & Siduri Gary's Pinot Noir
- Creme glace aux myrtilles (frozen blueberry cream)
BIG, FUN & EXCEPTIONAL: Pahlmeyer Wines
Thursday, July 10 at 6:30 p.m.
Critics agree that vintage after vintage, Pahlmeyer wines continue to produce phenomenal wines of power and finesse. As winemakers introduce these gems, patrons will sample small plates that perfectly complement the wines. Cooking School Staff will demonstrate how to create these dishes as students learn more about pairing food and wine to bring out the best flavor in both. Menu includes:
- Grilled salmon paired with Pahlmeyer-Jason Chardonnay
- Roasted pork tenderloin paired with Pahlmeyer-Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
- Braised short ribs paired with Pahlmeyer Merlot
- Flank steak paired with Pahlmeyer-Jayson Cabernet Sauvignon
DISCOVERY SERIES: Premium French Wines
Monday, July 14 at 6:30 p.m.
Join CM’s resident expert on a tour of the most popular varieties of grapes that provide some of the world’s most sought after wines. The selections will be from regions that are highly respected for producing trademark wines. In addition to tasting the featured wines, students will also learn about what to look for when tasting wine, how the grapes are grown, techniques utilized in the winery and much more. Attendees will sample:
- Chateau Mongravey Marguax
- Shatter Grenache (Orin Swift)
- Mirval Rosé
- Arnoux Aloxe Corton Les Fourniers 1er Cru
- Caseny d' Arce Rosé Champagne
WHEN: July 9-15, 2014
WHERE: Central Market, all store locations: Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Plano, San Antonio, and Southlake. For store location information.