- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olives pitted
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chiffonade, for garnish
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 large tomatoes ripe, seeded, peeled, julienned
- 1 loaf Italian bread country-style, coarse, textured, day old
- 1 large red onion julienned
- 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese cubed
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- Slice bread into 1-inch cubes. Place on a large cookie sheet and toast lightly in oven.
- Prepare tomatoes; reserve 1/2 cup tomatoes julienne for garnish. Place tomatoes on top of bread cubes.
- Soak the red onions in water for 20 minutes. Drain and place in bowl with tomatoes and bread cubes.
- Add garlic, olives, vinegar, and mozzarella. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add basil torn into small pieces.
- Add olive oil and toss gently.
- Allow the salad to set at room temperature for 2 hours so that the flavors are thoroughly absorbed by the bread.
- Garnish with the reserved tomatoes julienne and the basil chiffonade.
A good use of day-old bread.