- 2 Hatch green chiles roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 1 cup American cheese grated
- 1/2 cup sharp Cheddar grated
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tomato seeded and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup chicken stock optional
- In a medium saucepan, combine both cheeses and sour cream and cook over low heat until cheese is melted. Stir continuously to prevent scorching.
- Stir in the tomato, chiles, and garlic powder.
- Adjust consistency for dipping by adding sour cream and / or chicken stock.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Roasting instructions: Grilling Method: Place chiles on charcoal or gas grill about 5-6 inches above heat source. Remove once skins have blackened and blistered – if there are green spots, the skin won’t come off. Broiler Method: Preheat broiler. Place chiles under the broiler for 6-8 minutes or until the skin completely blackens and blisters. Range-Top Method: Cover gas or electric burner with a layer of heavy wire mesh. Once the mesh is hot, place chiles on top. Remove once skins have blackened and blistered entirely. Comal Method: Heat a comal (the cast-iron griddle used to heat tortillas) or iron skillet. Place several chiles on it, and turn until they completely blacken and blister.